People have always asked me why I love coconut oil so much and how I discovered it. Well, where do I start? I had always heard of coconut oil but I was never actually interested in the whole idea. I bought a little bottle in a supermarket one day for no reason in particular. It didn’t have a nice fragrance and it just felt wrong on my skin, I stopped using it after two tries. I still wondered why there was so much noise about it so I kept researching and figured out that it was pretty easy to make, the cold-pressed one was a bit tricky but I was able to do it after a few tries. It had a nice light coconutty fragrance and just felt amazing on my skin, I eventually realised that a lot of companies mix their coconut oil with lesser oils to enable them sell at a cheap price, it was a terrible discovery. And that was how my obsession with coconut oil began.
I started buying and producing it in large quantities then selling it wherever I could while trying to explain to people why they should buy coconut oil and the numerous benefits it provides. Now that I think of it, what I was doing was really stressful but back then I had so much fun doing it. Arguing with people who are obviously not informed or who just feel you should sell your products lower than what it’s worth is something I definitely don’t want to experience again.
Coconut oil is an all-purpose oil with a very long shelf life, let’s get into its benefits and uses.
Note: Make sure you don’t have a coconut oil allergy before you try it.
- Body Moisturizer: Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids, making it an effective moisturizer that absorbs quickly, this makes your skin glow.
- Makeup Remover: Apply it directly to your face as an oil cleanser, or let it sit on your skin with a cotton pad and watch your makeup melt away.
- Lip Balm.
- Body Scrub: Mix half a cup of coconut oil with a handful of granulated white sugar to create an exfoliator, you could add other things into it if you want, eg: coffee grinds or honey.
Note: Coffee grinds help reduce body cellulite when applied on the skin as an exfoliant.
- Lip Scrub: Combine one tablespoon of coconut oil with two tablespoons of sugar and one tablespoon of honey. Mix it all together and you’ve got a delicious DIY lip scrub!
- Dandruff Treatment: Dandruff and dry scalp go hand in hand. To send moisture right to the roots with this treatment, simply apply lightly to the roots and massage in, this will also stimulate hair growth.
- Deep Conditioner: You can use warm coconut oil as a pre-shampoo treatment to soothe dry hair before you shampoo and condition. Leave in for at least an hour.
- Night Cream: Apply coconut oil to your face and body at night for maximum moisturizing benefits. The antioxidants are great for smoothing fine lines and wrinkles while you sleep and let it really soak in.
- Leave-In Conditioner: Hydrate dry hair by using coconut oil as a Leave-In conditioner. Apply a small amount to wet strands to seal in moisture.
- Stretch Mark Cream: Expectant moms should keep a jar of coconut oil nearby to help ward off stretch marks, but anyone can use this as a topical treatment for scars. While the oil won’t fade any marks, it can help prevent dark spots and blisters from forming.
That’s it guys! If you don’t have a bottle or jar of coconut oil, get yourself one toay!